Warm Skate Salad
- 1 small vine-ripened tomato
- court bouillon
- 10 ounces boneless skinless skate wing
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- 5 ounces mesclun (mixed baby lettuces; about 5 cups loosely packed)
- 5 tablespoons house vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh cilantro leaves
Peel and seed tomato and cut into 1/4-inch dice. In a large deep skillet bring 1 1/2 inches court bouillon to a boil and reserve remainder for another use. Season skate with sea salt and white pepper and poach in court bouillon at a bare simmer until a knife slides easily into natural divisions in the fish, 1 to 2 minutes.
In a bowl toss mesclun with 3 tablespoons vinaigrette and divide between 2 plates, arranging in tall mounds.
Transfer skate with a slotted spatula to a cutting board and cut into thin strips, cutting along divisions in fish. Drape skate over salads and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons vinaigrette, tossing if desired. Sprinkle tomato and cilantro over salads.